Our appeal lawyers have reversed convictions and lowered sentences in serious cases.

The experienced criminal appeal lawyers at our firm can help people reverse wrongful convictions, remove excessive sentences, and, in some cases, help someone get out of prison.

We have helped people held in prisons across the State of Georgia with direct appeals, habeas petitions, and cert petitions to the Supreme Court of Georgia.

Our firm has offices in Atlanta GA, Brunswick GA, and Washington DC, and we frequently travel to other cities and counties in Georgia to represent people in serious criminal cases.

Read about our firm’s success in criminal appeals.

As this video explains, appealing a criminal conviction in Georgia usually takes several steps.

Although a person has a constitutional right to file a direct appeal immediately after being convicted at trial, a good criminal appeal lawyer in Georgia will almost always recommend first filing a motion for a new trial. We have helped several clients get a new trial by convincing the judge that he or she made a legal error during the trial, or by showing the judge that our client’s first lawyer was constitutionally ineffective. Even if the motion for new trial is not granted, we can use the hearing on our motion to develop evidence that will help us convince the appellate court to reverse the conviction and release our client from jail.

Most appeals in criminal cases will be filed in the Georgia Court of Appeals, but some cases can be appealed directly to the Supreme Court of Georgia. Our firm has won appeals in both the Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court when our client. In some cases, we have persuaded the appeals court that there was insufficient evidence to support the conviction. When that happens, the client is released from prison and cannot be tried again for that crime. In other cases, we have shown that our client did not receive a fair trial due to legal errors or an incompetent lawyer. When that happens, the conviction is reversed and the client is entitled to a new trial.

If the direct appeal is not successful, qualified criminal appeal lawyers in Georgia can help an inmate file a habeas petition. A habeas petition is filed in a different court, before a different judge, and is usually based on constitutional errors like ineffective assistance of counsel. Our criminal appeal lawyers have won several habeas petitions and helped our clients avoid decades of prison time.

Recent Criminal Appeals Cases & News

June 8, 2018

Can I withdraw a guilty plea?

A person can try to withdraw a guilty plea, but there are important time limits. Many people call…
June 1, 2018

Child pornography conviction reversed on appeal

Last month, the Georgia Court of Appeals reversed a conviction for child pornography after holdin…
February 7, 2016

Our Firm Helps Client Get a New Trial to Fight False Accusations of Child Molestation

On January 15, 2016, a Newton County judge reversed the convictions against our client and grante…
August 1, 2012

Page Pate Wins New Trial for Client Convicted of Sex Offense Charge

Earlier this week, our firm won a Motion for New Trial for a client who had been convicted of chi…